Welcome!

To all those reading this I am David Gibbs; I am a Lecturer in Law at the University of East Anglia.

I created this blog as a general out-let of ideas for my research, as well as keeping those interested up-to-date on my research and general interests.

I completed my PhD thesis at the University of East Anglia in 2014. The thesis was recommended for the award of PhD with no corrections. My external examiner was Prof. Simon Deakin (Cambridge) and internal examiner was Prof. Morten Hviid.
My PhD research centred on directors' duties and company law. The thesis was titled 'Non-Executive Self-Interest: Fiduciary Duties and Corporate Governance'. It was a doctrinal and empirical study on whether self-interest was suitably controlled amongst non-executive directors.

My supervisors were Prof. Mathias Siems, Prof. Duncan Sheehan, Dr. Sara Connolly and Dr. Rob Heywood

All opinions of any existing or future blogpost are my own. They do not necessarily represent the views of any of my associated institutions.
ORCID 0000-0002-6596-8536



Monday 23 April 2012

IGLRC 2012

Last week I presented my research at the International Graduate Legal Research Conference 2012 at King's College London. My panel was chaired by Dr Michael Schillig.

The event itself was well organised, engaging and interesting. I was able to meet a number of academics and research students in a variety of fields. I also attended the plenary session given by Professor David Kennedy from Harvard in the evening.

I attended a number of other talks from other research students, but this being my first significant external presentation I felt I gained most by presenting rather than listening.

It was interesting in some cases to note the differences in presentations based on the level of study people where at. Certainly students only just setting out on their PhDs mainly discussed the area they were looking in to and aimed to highlight the problems, whereas people further along where able to evidence firm conclusions or talk about more specific points. This of course was of no gauge as to the quality of the presentations, all of which I found thoroughly engaging although not always in my area.

For an outline of what I discussed in my presentation, please see my previous blog post. If you are interested in reading my paper or looking at my presentation, please do get in touch. I am considering uploading it, or something similar, to SSRN in the near future. I do not plan to do it now since I developed my presentation a bit after completing my paper as I had been able to conduct further empirical analysis.



No comments:

Post a Comment