Welcome!

To all those reading this I am David Gibbs; I am a Lecturer in Law at the University of East Anglia.

I created this blog as a general out-let of ideas for my research, as well as keeping those interested up-to-date on my research and general interests.

I completed my PhD thesis at the University of East Anglia in 2014. The thesis was recommended for the award of PhD with no corrections. My external examiner was Prof. Simon Deakin (Cambridge) and internal examiner was Prof. Morten Hviid.
My PhD research centred on directors' duties and company law. The thesis was titled 'Non-Executive Self-Interest: Fiduciary Duties and Corporate Governance'. It was a doctrinal and empirical study on whether self-interest was suitably controlled amongst non-executive directors.

My supervisors were Prof. Mathias Siems, Prof. Duncan Sheehan, Dr. Sara Connolly and Dr. Rob Heywood

All opinions of any existing or future blogpost are my own. They do not necessarily represent the views of any of my associated institutions.
ORCID 0000-0002-6596-8536



Thursday 25 August 2011

EC publishes Green Paper on Modernising the Professional Qualifications Directives

The EC have published a Green Paper on 'Modernising the Professional Qualifications Directive' (COM) 2011. This Green Paper seeks to modernise professional qualifications within the EU where the service sector accounts for 70% of GDP whereas intra-EU trade in services only accounts for 25% of overall trade in the EU.

According to a recent report there will be a need for 16 million more high-skilled professionals by 2020, which under current trends will leave a severe shortage, in particular in the health sector. 

The view of the Green Paper is to enable citizens to realise their right to work anywhere in the EU and to have their professional qualifications recognised anywhere in the EU. The implications of regulatory competition within the EU may play a part in the formation of clearer and simpler rules. If different EU states have different requirements to qualify then such asymmetries must be addressed by creating a uniform approach.  

No comments:

Post a Comment